Totally Frenched Out

From the blogger formerly known as Samdebretagne

Friday, February 26, 2010

It's a good thing I just got back from a relaxing vacation, because tonight we are leaving Paris once again...only this time to (drum roll please.....) MEET. THE. PARENTS.

It's an event that has been stressing men and women out around the world for centuries, and now it's my turn. On the positive side, at least I have already been through this once in France, so I have somewhat of an idea to expect. And I can speak French this time around. Plus, nobody can be worse than The MIL. (Right?? Please tell me I'm right! Go on, leave a comment right now.)

Although I do have to say I'm feeling decidedly less freaked out about it than when it was first brought up in December. Which I'm taking as a sign of progress on my part - in the beginning, any mention of any sort of event more than a few weeks in the future brought on waves of panic. But yet just today we booked a hotel for a family wedding in May, and instead of thinking "Ack! A wedding! And a family one at that! And in May en plus- who knows what could happen between now and then?", I (mostly) just thought "Oh, that gives me a few months to find a new dress".

It's all about the baby steps people.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Anon said...

Your previous experience with the mother-in-law from Hell means this one will be cake! As a mother of two sons in their twenties I am steeling myself for the time when I am the mother-in-law. In preparation I make sure to like and treat all girlfriends with equal kindness and respect knowing that each may be THE ONE. My own mother-in-law was the BEST because she adhered to boundaries which your former experience did not.
This is very exciting! You'll be fine.
Linda

February 26, 2010 at 7:30 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I'd be interested to know whether all French MIL are the same. Good luck!

February 26, 2010 at 10:00 PM  
Blogger Jadie said...

you will be so welcomed! unless c comes from a family of brutes (per your last experience), his mother will be in paroxysms of joy and relief. and you will utterly charm his father. ooooh, hope you have a great time.

February 27, 2010 at 3:39 AM  
Blogger deedee said...

Not all French mil's are bad...mine has been a wonderful mom to me. I hope C's mom is a charming lady!

February 27, 2010 at 7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just be yourself and she will love you, after all her son does so why should she doubt him. I have an amazing daughter in law and look on her as one of my own. Hope it all goes well.

February 27, 2010 at 9:36 AM  
Blogger julia said...

Be yourself, they will love you!

February 27, 2010 at 9:40 AM  
Blogger J said...

I'm sure you'll be fine, hon! No one could be as bitchy as the MIL, and this time you definitely know French. It will be completely different and much better.

February 27, 2010 at 11:11 AM  
Blogger Crystal said...

just don't forget to say "vous" and if it feels weird, remember it's just a pronoun.

We can go dress shopping together! I need one too for a friend's wedding in Canada in May :)

February 27, 2010 at 11:25 AM  
Blogger French teacher said...

Just based on what you have said about C on here, I would imagine he has a nice family because he sounds so nice himself. Can't wait to hear how it goes!!
Sue

February 27, 2010 at 8:11 PM  
Blogger islandgirl4ever2 said...

I am sure his parents will ADORE you.. Miss French woman!!!
Have a nice time together.. I think this is definitely a step forward!!!

February 28, 2010 at 11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home