Totally Frenched Out

From the blogger formerly known as Samdebretagne

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

One of the really cool things in France is how much they encourage cultural outings. A lot of places even have special entrance prices for those who are unemployed - I love that they think that you should deprive yourself of seeing a movie, going to a museum, etc just because you don't have a job.

The French cultural minister is running an experiment at 14 several monuments/museums across the country, trying to see if more people will attend if they don't have to pay. The experiment ends on June 30, so I've been trying to hit up the ones here in Paris. I'm most excited about going to the Cluny museum later on this week - it's official name is the "Museum of the Middle Ages", and it's about a ten minute walk from where I live. It's such a cool looking place - just this big old castle plopped down in a busy tourist district.

At various times of the year, cinema prices are also reduced - for example, the "Fête du cinéma" will be running from June 29-July 1. During those three days, movie ticket prices across the country are a lot lower, often around 2€ each. And there's also the Paris Festival of International Cinema from July 1-12 (speaking of which, one of the special guests is the famous Finnish film director Aki Kaurismäki) or all of the outdoor cinema projections they do in the summer. For someone who loves going to the movies as much as I do, it's like heaven.

In case anyone is interested, I also wanted to mention quick the film pass I got (thanks Kyliemac!). For a little over 19€ per month, I can see unlimited films at any Gaumont cinema. UCG has the same offer. Considering that a movie can easily cost 9 or 10€ here in Paris, that's a pretty good deal. I'm hoping to be able to see at least one a week this summer. If nothing else, the air-conditioned salles will provide some respite from the summer heat!! (Assuming it actually gets hot here, lol). Reminds me of how I used to go to the dollar theater in Roseville two or three times a week just to be able to sit in a cool place for a few hours.

7 Comments:

Blogger KathyMac said...

some of the independent cinemas are included on the pass too, which is cool. but i'm lazy and generally don't travel that far. :) i was bummed when mk2 made the switch from le pass to ucg!

June 24, 2008 at 10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE the Cluny! That's where they have the tapestries for La Dame de la Licorne (or et la Licorne?) I haven't seen it since 1998... Have fun!

June 24, 2008 at 3:47 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

I love movies as well. I saw the UCG pass before and thought it was a great idea but up until recently I have not been able to understand films in French (no VO films in my town). maybe this summer I will pick up one of those passes and go more. Thanks for reminding me!

June 24, 2008 at 3:48 PM  
Blogger Victoria said...

very cool, i definitely want to see a movie while i'm in town.

June 24, 2008 at 4:17 PM  
Blogger Starman said...

What they don't tell you is that the cinemas are probably going to be sold out most of the time during those discount days.
Been to the Cluny. Loved it! You will also.

June 24, 2008 at 4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Make sure you tell us how the museum is, it sounds really interesting, I'd love to see it.

I didn't know that about the cinema tickets! Excellent....

You should check out the Cinematheque Francaise sometime, they play a lot of interesting stuff, pretty varied program. It's in Bercy though but well worth the trip, they also house a cinema museum. Two other cool cinemas are on rue des ecoles, there are two small cinemas that play a lot of old movies. Very good if you need a Cary Grant pick me up.

Going to the cinema in Australia always cost a small fortune..16 dollars for an adult so I'm always laughing when my husband complains about the price of tickets here.

June 24, 2008 at 6:13 PM  
Blogger Ksam said...

That's a good point Starman, I hadn't thought of that since it was never an issue in V-town!! One of the great things about Paris though is that I can actually see American movies in English, instead of having them to watch them dubbed all the time.

June 24, 2008 at 11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home