Totally Frenched Out

From the blogger formerly known as Samdebretagne

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

I've been meaning to blog about this for a few weeks now, but kept forgetting. Now C & I normally speak in French, but he does speak fairly decent English and has an interest in learning more. He is pretty exposed to it just by association (ie. soirées with my friends, movies in VO, American TV, etc), but he's always resisted my suggestion of speaking English a few days a week. And to be honest, I never really pushed it much since I'm happy to finally be speaking French outside of my work.

But before we left for the UK, he asked if we could speak English there. I wasn't really too excited about it because 1) it would be weird to speak to him in another language and 2) it's kind of nice to have a secret language (that not too many people can understand) while abroad. But I realize I'm lucky that he actually wants to improve his English, so I decided to go along with it. For the first days though, it was really weird. Like incredibly weird. Like talking to a complete stranger weird. It was almost awkward - you just get into this rhythm of relating to someone one way, and switching languages mixes that all up.

But then I sort of got used to it, and it made for some funny, direct-from-French, translations. Like C calling me "my little bug". I didn't dare tell him that puce was flea in English.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home