Totally Frenched Out

From the blogger formerly known as Samdebretagne

Monday, December 22, 2008

I am getting so tired of living out of a suitcase!! And I would say that I'll be happy to finally be back in France, but with the way my work schedule is looking for the next few months, the end is no where near in sight. Which is why I took advantage of The Company's luggage reimbursement offer and bought myself two fancy new suitcases, lol.

We left my dear grandmother's house yesterday, armed with left-overs (my favorite being the cookie salad) and made our way back up north. Except this time, we weren't heading towards C-town. You see, my mother got a new job a few months back and moved to the other side of the state. I'd been hoping she'd get a job near the Twin Cities (easy access to the airport, better shopping, etc), but no luck.

It's kind of unsettling to think we will no longer be going back there. I always loved coming home at Christmas - it was the only time I got to see all of my friends from high school. They are so funny and I'm really going to miss hanging out with them this year. It's also really weird to think about my dad being buried there. I would always stop by and visit at least once during my time home and it's sad to think that I won't be able to do that anymore. On a positive note though, I am very relieved not to have to face everybody else in town and all their questions, like "Oh, how's Fabrice doing?" or "How come the Frenchie didn't come with you this time?" And we now live a lot closer to the major ski stations in MN, so at least I'll be able to go skiing at least twice before heading back to France.

But I don't know - it's just strange. My home is no longer my home. Every time I come back to MN now, it will be to a city I don't know, where I know no one, with no family near by. I guess it just kind of takes away the meaning of "home"...

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

Sorry you feel that way. Could you maybe stop in with some of your old friends for a few days, then go off to see your family?

December 22, 2008 at 8:27 PM  
Blogger L said...

Just a comment about the cookie salad: there was an episode of How I Met Your Mother where Marshall took Lily back to meet his family in Minnesota and Marshall's mom made her "famous" salad which included tons of mayonnaise, chips, gummi bears, and funions. I trust that's just an exaggeration of Minnesota salads...

December 22, 2008 at 8:54 PM  
Blogger juliwalters said...

Hahah and gross. I immediately googled Cookie Salad. Everytime I watch How I Met Your Mother which I love btw, I think of you Sam.

December 22, 2008 at 9:06 PM  
Blogger L said...

And for a more serious comment: as Bill Bryson has said, you can't beat the phone company, you can't get a waiter to notice you till he's ready to notice you; and you can never go home again.

December 22, 2008 at 9:12 PM  
Blogger Ksam said...

Megan - No, the town where I grew up is now 4+ hours away, plus I don't have a car to drive there. And even if I did, none of my friends actually live there anymore - they stay with their parents during the holidays, and I wouldn't want to impose on someone else's family during Christmas.

L - actually that's not too far off, lol. Kinda reminds me of the green jello + shredded carrot combination often seen at MN potlucks...

Jules - Cookie salad is soooo good. You must try it sometime. And I'm going to have to start watching "How I met your mother" now...

December 23, 2008 at 3:56 AM  
Blogger Non Je Ne Regrette Rien said...

I know what you mean about the suitcase thing ... I'm there PLUS sleeping on a couch for 2+ weeks. sigh. It sounds like your visit has been much better than mine. My impressions of the U.S. upon my return have not been very positive and I'm yearning to get back to France.

Enjoy your time in the states ...

December 23, 2008 at 5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Green jello and carrots? Sounds worse than the green jello and cottage cheese that my grandma makes. :) I've got to go look up cookie salad now! Enjoy your skiing!

December 23, 2008 at 5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home