Totally Frenched Out

From the blogger formerly known as Samdebretagne

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Wanderlust

I ended up unexpectedly going back to the US at the beginning of the month for work, and flights to MN were horrendously expensive, so I decided to swing by NYC on the way back to lower the cost and see my BFF.  I was exhausted after two jam-packed weeks, and I didn't really want to do the typical touristy stuff, so I checked out the 'what's on in NYC' page and came across two unique events. 

The first one was a picnic in Central Park organized by the Breton-NYC association (my secret goal is to get my BFF to meet a French guy so that she comes back to France regularly).  Unfortunately the picnic was a bust - everyone already knew each other and they weren't interested in mingling with new folks.  Sidebar- there was no alcohol!  How can Bretons have a non-alcoholic picnic?!  It blows my mind. We did end up running into an American friend from my Bretagne days though, so that was a random coincidence, and it was fun to meet her (Breton) husband and their baby.

The second event was a 'Mindful Triatholon' organized by Wanderlust.  It was a 5K, 60 minutes of meditation, and then 30 minutes of meditation. It was around $40 to participate in the whole thing, but you could also attend just the yoga and meditation parts for free, which is what we did. It was a fantastic event, and because they were trying to break the Guinness World Record for Partner Yoga, we even got a free t-shirt! 

The sponsor booths were also amazing - I've never been to an event with so many great free samples. We got free kombucha, free natural drinks, tons of different energy/health bars, a free veggie burger, free (Samsung-sponsored lol) fresh coconuts, vegan yogurt, etc. The list went on and on, and I was really happy to stock up on some healthy snacks for the plane ride home. 

On top of all of that, there were some bonus activities that were normally only for people who had a paid ticket, but you could show up last minute and get on a wait list to get a free spot, which is how I ended up trying aerial yoga for the first time.

It was such a great day, with a great atmosphere - and I saw online that they are also doing it in various cities around the world, so I wanted to share the love.  This weekend, events will be held in London, Adelaide, Tampa and Washington, DC, and the following weekend, they will be in Philly, Milan and Detroit.  So if you like yoga and that sort of thing, check out their website here to see if they'll be holding an event near you!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Gwan said...

Ha, Samsung coconuts, love it. It is a bummer when these sorts of meetups are cliquey. What's the point of making it a public event then?

September 21, 2017 at 9:22 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

The triathlon looks fun, and there's no pressure to race the 5K, shame it's not coming to Montpellier. Barcelona is a bit far, and a bit troublesome at the moment...

October 2, 2017 at 8:56 AM  
Blogger corine said...

this would be my sort of Triathlon. As long as there is no sweating or panting involved, I'm in !

November 9, 2017 at 1:24 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Ooh, what "what's on in NYC" list did you use? Those both sound fab and even though I live here I get totally overwhelmed by listings, I don't know how to find cool stuff to do. Will definitely check out Wanderlust.

November 27, 2017 at 1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home