Totally Frenched Out

From the blogger formerly known as Samdebretagne

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I'm traveling again for work this week, and have had about 2 hours of driving to do each night - which means I've spent a lot of time listening to the radio. I normally enjoy it - in fact, FYI - I'm usually the crazy person you see singing along with the music at the stoplight.

But these days, it seems like instead of playing music, the latest radio fad is to have the host call up your spouse/partner and pretend to be someone else to find out if they're cheating. On some stations, they'll pretend to get the wrong number and then flirt with the person and ask them out to see if they accept. On others, they'll pretend to be a flower shop and ask who they'd like to send the free flowers to. Most of the callers are women suspicious of their boyfriends/husbands, and I'm sorry to say that pretty much 9 times out 10, the guy is cheating. I guess the moral of the story is trust your gut ladies - if something seems off, it probably is.

If you want to listen to an example, click here, then scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on "Défi téléphonique - Les roses". Today's episode involved a woman finding out that her boyfriend of over a year was leading a double-life and had secretly been dating another woman for the past 8-9 months (the other woman was also being fooled) - Though I don't think it will be posted until tomorrow.

I don't know, I find it all so depressing. Here I am, in a still-fairly-new relationship, and it's really disheartening to realize just how many "normal" people out there are cheating. I don't think it's something that's specific to France, but I definitely do think it's more accepted here.

Up until now, I think I've done a pretty good job of not projecting my Fab-related trust issues on C, but man, when ya hear stuff like this day after day, it really makes it hard for a girl to think about getting seriously involved with someone again. And add to that a few recent break-up stories from friends + us being separated a lot due to my job and you've got one jumpy Ksam. Who should maybe be using her trigger-finger to change the radio station instead.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger L said...

Listen to France Inter! It's just like NPR, with a mix of news, book and movie reviews, interviews, classical music, indie groups, classic jazz, and lots of other stuff. I don't know if I've listened to it more than 2 hours in a row (maybe if there were a lot of dishes) so I don't if they repeat certain things like NPR, but I really don't think so. Plus I learn about stuff I'd never bother to pay attention to if they weren't talking about it on France Inter.

December 2, 2009 at 11:59 PM  
Blogger Anon said...

Yes change the station and don't listen to or read such garbage. There are no guarantees. I have been married forEVER (over 30 years) and have learned to take it one day at a time. One never knows, do one?
So far so good with us but who knows what tomorrow will bring?
Enjoy your new friend!
(your) Anon

December 3, 2009 at 12:07 AM  
Blogger Starman said...

They don't call it 'cheating' in France.

December 3, 2009 at 12:22 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Well, most of the people inclined to call up and set it up with the radio in the first place are ones that suspect something is off. Those who don't suspect their partner of cheating wouldn't call in, so I think the percentages are skewed.

December 3, 2009 at 6:17 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

I heard that one too! I think it was more depressing than usual because she actually spoke to the woman, and she's also being duped. Usually it's just a stupid girl who had a one night stand who wants to see what the guy thinks about her.

December 3, 2009 at 9:06 AM  
Blogger Kinzie said...

Jeez, that was rough to listen to. But I think the previous comment about how the percentages are skewed is a good point -- we can't let a few ruin it for the rest of us!

December 3, 2009 at 10:47 AM  
Blogger Ken Broadhurst said...

Sam, don't you have an iPod or some good CDs you can listen to? You are freaking yourself out. The danger with this stuff is that it can become an self-fulfilling prophesy.

December 3, 2009 at 3:58 PM  
Blogger islandgirl4ever2 said...

Sounds just like a "typical" American telefilm... Kind of like the one I watched today on M6... But, the guy kills his wife.. that was a little different.. but he was leading a double life... YEEKS!

And then there's Tiger Woods and David Letterman!!! But, Tiger Woods is ALL over the gossip sites.. I nee to stay away from those.. Such TRASH! Not everyone is like that, though... Not in France!

December 3, 2009 at 7:56 PM  
Blogger Jadie said...

isn't it interesting how we orient to things that confirm whatever we're currently worrying about? if it's possible to do across cultures, i'd look him in the eye and gauge for myself his sincerity. either you get to the bottom of his soul, or you know he's murky.

December 5, 2009 at 3:12 AM  
Blogger julia said...

France Culture, that's my favourite, in fact my little French Car still displays the name on button 8...

There are a lot of cheats out there but there are also a great many happily-committed people

The trick is to find the right one
If you discover it please let me know the secret!

December 5, 2009 at 10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home