Totally Frenched Out

From the blogger formerly known as Samdebretagne

Thursday, July 4, 2013

The big reveal

I know some of you are wondering what the big birthday surprise was after all, so drum roll please.....

I thought it was going to be an evening at the Chateau de Versailles for their fireworks & fountain show, but it turned out to be an afternoon and then fancy dinner at the Château d'Esclimont, about 45 minutes outside of Paris. 

We started off with a spin around the moat in a row boat - it was so peaceful, just us and a few quacky ducks.
Then we strolled around the grounds and watched numerous bridal parties take pictures:
And then we were a bit thirsty, so we checked out the bar/lounge:
Until it was time for dinner:
Here are our fancy menu choices:
We also had fancy wine to go with each of our courses.  I got the Dulcey for dessert, and they stuck a nice little happy birthday message on there:
So basically I was all worried about the "surprise" for nothing. I think I'm just not a surprise kind of gal - I like planning too much to not know what's going on.  But still, I should have trusted that C knew me well enough to come up with something I'd enjoy.  Plus, it was nice to just spend a few hours relaxing and doing nothing amid all of this crazy travel.
Purty







Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Canedolia said...

Looks like a gorgeous place to spend a birthday!

Did C have the strawberry dessert? I'm intrigued to know what a pudding made with garlic is like!

July 4, 2013 at 12:44 PM  
Blogger The Paris Chronicles said...

Oh, lucky birthday girl! I LOVE le château d'Esclimont. I first went there in 1989 and have been back at least six times. One time they were filming a movie with Michel Blanc on the premises...that was exciting. I've taken friends there, my late parents, my [now ex] husband, and some boyfriends...Yep, I am a confirmed fan of the place. I hope you got breakfast in bed with those cute little pots de confiture and delicious croissants.

July 4, 2013 at 5:35 PM  
Blogger The Paris Chronicles said...

Whoops! My bad; I just realized you didn't sleep there. Well, there's always next year!

July 4, 2013 at 5:37 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Sounds a lovely birthday. Well done that man. :)

July 5, 2013 at 11:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a great surprise! Of course he knows you so well that he takes you to a castle! :) Love it! What a perfect couple!

So I'm sitting here reading the menu and there are a few words I didnt know, so I look them up...only to realize when I come back to your picture that the menu is also in English! LOL (Jacq)

July 5, 2013 at 3:39 PM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Yes, purty. It looks like a very pleasant way to spend your birthday.

July 5, 2013 at 9:05 PM  
Blogger Sara Louise said...

What a beautiful setting for a celebration! C did good!

July 8, 2013 at 9:21 AM  
Blogger Delana@dujour said...

Yep, it's purty and would definitely count as a good birthday surprise. C is a keeper! And, by the way, Happy belated birthday.

July 17, 2013 at 7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home