Totally Frenched Out

From the blogger formerly known as Samdebretagne

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Just another Friday night in Paris

Last night Jasmin & I went to a meet-up on a river boat/night club call Le Rivers King. For 12€, you got entry onto the boat, access to the buffet, an 1 1/2 boat ride down the Seine and 2-for-1 drinks til midnight. They also had salsa lessons in one of the salles. I really like this meet-up group - the people generally tend to be a bit older, generally in their 30's & working (read: cute men in suits). We were accompanied by Jasmin's friend John (or is that Jon? - it's not even your real name and I still don't know how to spell it!!) and John/Jon's friend Olivier. It turns out that Olivier is the Oliver from O Château Champagne cruise that K&K talk about in episode 130! It's a small world after all, it's a small world after all, it's a small world after all, it's a small, small world. Ha, just kidding.
We left the boat sometime after midnight to go pick up John/Jon's friend who'd just arrived in Paris, and then we made our way over to Kong, where we were refused entry because Olivier was wearing flip-flops. They actually almost refused him entry on the boat too for the same reason - so tourist tip, if you're going to go OUT-out in Paris, don't wear flip-flops. But really, that should be a given already. Jasmin sweet-talked the doormen into letting us in (ie. harassed him until he got sick of our faces) and we made our way upstairs. It was another one of those times when the whole thing was so surreal - like how did I end up going from middle-of-nowhere Bretagne to dancing and drinking champagne in a hip club in Paris? When are people going to notice that I don't belong here, that I'm just a small-town girl? (But until they do, I'll keep right on drinking that champagne).We finally left around 3am and while we were waiting for the elevator, I thanked the bouncer for having let us in. We chatted a bit and for whatever reason, he told us he liked Old Navy - how random is that?

Since it was such a nice night, I decided to walk home. I was about half-way there when all of the sudden, I realized I felt happy. Inexplicably, joyously happy. As in "Life is good" happy. I'm *this close* to signing my new contract with The Company, I've got great friends, and more things to do and people to see than I've got time for. I have a L.I.F.E. Imagine that. Pourvu que ça continue.

Now if only I could lose 15lbs and find a new place to live by September 1, life would be perfect. *S*

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Global Librarian said...

Don't they sell flip flops at Old Navy? Perhaps that was the connection?

August 2, 2008 at 4:11 PM  
Blogger judyb said...

i'm so glad you're so happy. You really deserve it :)

August 2, 2008 at 6:34 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

sounds like you had a good time. When I was studying abroad in England, some English girls took me out to a club. We went for drinks first, then they gasped and said "Oh no you are wearing trainers! They won't let you in!" I was thinking what the hell are they talking about? Finally figured out that trainers=tennis shoes, which was apparently not allowed in British clubs. I guess in some US clubs too, but I hadn't gone to many. Ah well. Just enjoy your life as it is now.

August 2, 2008 at 7:13 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

I'm so happy to hear about your happiness. I'm really glad you didn't pack up and head to the Midwest in the heat of the moment - look what you'd have missed! It's a surreal life, if you pay attention. BTW - nobody's going to notice that you don't belong because they're too busy worrying that someone will notice that they don't belong. Bottoms up!

August 2, 2008 at 8:23 PM  
Blogger Victoria said...

yeay!! you are living the life that some people only dream of!

August 2, 2008 at 9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam, you are finally living the life a woman your age should be living. And what could be finer than to be doing it in PARIS.

August 2, 2008 at 9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

xxxxxxxxx!!!!

August 2, 2008 at 11:06 PM  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

Congratulations!
You made it....
Oh, and the feeling of being a fake in the real world? Just learn to live with it. I think it has something to do with small town midwestern childhood...
No one's found me out...yet...

August 3, 2008 at 9:07 AM  
Blogger MISS YURI said...

now THAT's what i'm talkin about!! exuberance rules.

August 3, 2008 at 10:08 AM  
Blogger Mrs B said...

French people who've been to the states often feel the need to talk to me about Taco Bell... I think it's some sort of a way of affirming they belong to the same "club" as you.

August 3, 2008 at 11:17 AM  
Blogger islandgirl4ever2 said...

Hey Sam....

Glad to hear that you are having a really great and "surreal" time and that you are happy... That's the way life is meant to be lived, after all... : ) It all sounds like a lot of fun to me, so enjoy!! --Leese : )

August 3, 2008 at 2:16 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

OK, the old married lady is going to tell you that you do not need to lose weight!

And Olivier/Oliver e-mailed me the other day to tell me about his new website. No, I don't know him. *s*

August 5, 2008 at 7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home